Maple Tavern has had the pleasure and opportunity to host many benefits, also known sometimes as fundraisers, that have helped numerous people and numerous causes. The difference between making $50 and making $50,000 is the way you plan, organize and run the event! Here are 5 tips that have seemed to help those planning a benefit at Maple Tavern be successful!
1) Have the benefit on a Sunday. The majority of our successful benefits have been on a Sunday. This seems to bring in the largest crowd of people, for many people have obligations on a Saturday and weeknights are hard on families. Also, on Sundays people seem to be more generous and willing to help a cause they support.
2) Feed your benefit guests. Your guests are obviously not at the benefit to eat, but charging them admission and giving them a meal is the best way to make them comfortable. This will keep them content and hopefully have them spend more money and stay longer. This is especially true for families! You can also make money on this meal. For example, at Maple Tavern we charge $8 for our pasta feed. If you charge $20 and sell 200 tickets, you will make $2,400 in tickets alone!
3) Check around for what pricing will be. Make sure when you are booking that there is not a room fee, bartender fee, linen fee, etc. Make sure you know all the commitments and prices before you put a deposit down. Also, be sure to check the bar prices. Maple Tavern has always had all day happy hour on Sunday, so make sure before booking any benefit you check the prices of drinks. For places with good drink prices, we have found, will keep people staying longer and spending more money on silent auctions and raffles.
4) Presell Tickets. If you presell tickets, it will allow those who can’t attend to be able to still buy a ticket. This also helps if the weather turns out to be crappy that day (darn Minnesota). It will be very helpful as well when it comes to giving a head count for food.
5) Plan, plan, plan. Make sure you have people help you collect silent auction or raffle items. This can be a hard task for one person and can be rewarding for other people to help out! Plus, you would be amazed at who your connections have connections with. Make sure to check with corporations about donations! Major companies LOVE helping out and many are willing to donate, whether it be cookies or gift cards!
Maple Tavern would love to help you plan a benefit, whether it be for a charity or a personal family member. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org!